Wednesday, September 23, 2009

what is for dinner - chicken breast



I have had an off and on relationship with chicken breast over the years. when I was a kid, I liked it a lot, because it is got fewer bones to pick, easier to eat. But as I got older, I realized that most of the time, a thigh or a drum stick or a wing is going to be juicer, and have more flavor, and at that point I definitely was not shy about getting my fingers dirty to get a nice piece of chicken in my mouth.

but on occasions over the last few years, I have had breast meat from good chickens, cooked properly, that were just as delicious and satisfying as any hind quarter. This particular breast from a free range bird I got a few days ago was just that (it is interesting how we say a lot of things with white meat taste like chicken, but the probability of getting a chicken that have real chicken flavor has been going down for a while now). Although sloppily butchered (it has been at least 6 months since I bought a whole chicken), I didn't fuck this up on the stove (or in the oven). once again brussel sprouts almost steal the show.

No comments: