Sunday, September 14, 2008

tasty bird


I have been eating pork all week, so I decided this weekend will be seafood or poultry. I ate popeye's on friday night, then I saw these plump cornish hens at st.Lawrence market on saturday, I hesitated a little, because they were expensive, but it has been a long time since I have roasted a whole bird, so what the hell.

I found this recipe in anne willan's recent book on french county cooking, you basically roast the bird with cream and mustard all over it, call me ignorant, but it is something I have not heard before, so I was like, what the hell, let's try it.

I was pretty happy with the result, although breast meat on the bird itself was a little disappointing, I didn't overcook it, it was just sort of loose, and lack taste. the sauce made from the pan juice with a little wine (it called for red wine) was the most interesting part, you get a dark rich sauce that is redolent with creamy flavor, not surprising, but still intriguing.

oh, I had to put a little bacon in the corn side dish, no one gets tired of fat from pigs.

No comments: