Sunday, July 08, 2012

When it is hot, make tartare

Toronto is far from the hottest place in north America at the moment, the midwest and mid-Atlantic region are like burning hot, supposedly.  All I really know is that it has been pretty sweltering here lately.  I thought why not avoid using the stove this weekend and make beef tartare (This turned out to be a failed notion, as I had to use the oven to make toast and the stove top to make scallion pancake ....).

On Saturday night I attempted to make the classic French version, with chopped capers, cornichon, dijon mustard, egg yolk etc.  It turned out fairly well, but seemed to be missing something, maybe it was the lack of worcestershire sauce.  While I enjoyed this meal, I think this dish may be more suitable as an appetizer.  The texture of raw beef is just not something that most of us are used to, thus it can get a bit tiring and weird after more than 6 or 8 bites.

fairly standard steak tartare
I got enough tenderloin left on Sunday for either a tiny steak or more tartare.  I decided to experiment a bit.  A mixture of satay sauce (沙茶醬), soy sauce and egg yolk is a common condiment for chinese hotpot (in Taiwan especially), I thought this might be a nice flavoring for raw beef, with satay standing in for mustard, soy in place of other salty bits.  I tossed in minced scallion instead of onion, some minced chinese pickled radish and cilantro to finish up.  And scallion pancake was eaten with the tartare instead of toasted french bread.

not so standard steak tartare
My experiment was a mild success, I think I actually preferred it over the classic version (I know they don't look very different on my shitty pictures, but trust me they taste very different).  Both can be spiced up a bit more though.


No comments: