Thursday, December 31, 2009

new year



when I lived in SF, a real treat for me in the winter months (although there is no winter on the west coast, not after what I have seen up here) was Dungeness crabs at the peak of the season. How do I know when they are at the peak? when they are sold live all over chinatown for $2.99 - 3.99 a lb, live. I would get a 2 lb crab on a sunday, and just go to town, steamed, roasted, sauteed, whatever. Sure the meat of dungeness is not as sweet or delicate as the hairy crab or other smaller fresh water crab I ate as a kid, but it is definitely the best crab I can get in north America.

It has been at least two years since I have eaten one, so even though new years eve doesn't mean shit to me, I decided to use that as an excuse to indulge. Of course they cost more here, but at $5.79 per lb (from B.C.), it is not crazy. And after I plowed through the crab (sauteed and roasted with a pretty typical asian spicy seasoning that people use on a crab), I utilized the remaining sauce with some spaghetti noodles. the only downside of this meal is that the crabby smell in your fingers sticks around for a while afterwards.

happy new year.

No comments: