Sunday, October 11, 2009

what is for dinner - quail



I really like quails, I use to eat it all the time when I lived in SF. I have not made them in a while because I have not been able to find a place that sell them individually, all the stores in chinatown here sell them in pack of 6; deboning 6 of them at a time just seem like too big of a project for a lazy saturday afternoon.

But my craving for them this week reached a point that I decided to get a 6 pack; I prepared two right away, put two of them in the freezer, and save two for later in the week.

quail can take on quite a bit of seasoning and spices, and yet still have that distinct gamy flavor. they are fairly forgiving on the stove as well, as long as they are below the well done stage, they will be pretty tender and juicy. I like them just about medium, maybe a little less.

I seasoned these two with five spice powder, stuffed it with a piece of ginger and a slice of garlic. they were good, but I think they would have been better if they were a bit more heat to it. I pickled some hot peppers last week, maybe I will eat some of those with the next two quails.

No comments: