Sunday, February 03, 2008

Chicago! Chicago!

I have been to the O'Hare airport for flight connections many many times in the last few years, but I have not actually been into the city until last weekend. My good friend Frank whom I have known since I first moved to this country, got married in the windy city. I bitched to him and other people about the fact that it would be too fucking cold for us west coast folks to go to chicago in January, and no one in their right mind would have a wedding when it is zero degree, but part of me was really looking forward to both the wedding as well as the chance to spend a few days in the city of chicago.

In addition to the wedding (no pictures, I dropped my phone into a pile of snow on Michigan the first day I was there, the piece of shit stopped working), the trip center on, you guessed it - eating and drinking, what else were we going to do when it is so fucking cold outside.

Three of us (two friends andy and jenny from seattle) had dinner at acclaimed TRU on friday night. Everything was extraordinary but the food. The service was flawless, the wine list was crazy (we had a half bottle of alsacian pinot gris, and a bottle of 1995 Calon Segur, both among the more modestly priced bottles, there are tons of good stuff if you don't mind paying $300 or more), the cheese cart was spectacular as well.

the food wasn't that bad, when you spend $95 a person on three courses, it can't be that bad; but the quail was overcooked, the roasted venison was too raw it was chewy. Although the $150 aged Kobe been tenderloin we shared (additional, of course) was probably the best piece of beef I have every put into my mouth; and couple of other dishes andy and jenny had were also really good, but I really wasn't expecting any miscues that were on my plate from this place.

I know, I know, I am going to hell for complaining about a meal that cost over $400 a person, but I think I was on fast track there before last weekend.

more on chicago and a better meal later.

No comments: